Saturday, July 5, 2008

Disc Golf

Today we had the experience of Disc Golf. I had heard mention of it about a month ago, but never bothered to ask what it was. I thought it was some sort of skeet shooting disk on a course, like golf. To be honest, I didn't really care what it was. At the time, all I knew was that it was this person's idea of fun and another excuse to not be an active parent to his daughter.

I happened to be looking up things to do in my community for the weekend. I happened to come across local kayak and canoe rentals as well as a nearby park that offers a free disc golf course. Surprisingly, my son claimed that he knew what and where it was, but after we got there, I'm pretty sure he didn't.

We used regular Frisbee's, which I'm no expert on using; however, as it's a wooded course it proved to not matter much anyway. At hole one there were score sheets and a map of the 18 hole course, which proved to be more troublesome than it was worth. We managed to get mixed up well more than a few times, but it was still fun. We managed to laugh a lot, stumble on every possible tree stump, hit about 1/3 of the trees with the Frisbee's and I even drew some blood. Despite the fruity mosquito repellent, being in the woods it was still difficult to ward them off completely.

I'm pretty sure though, we're hooked. We went to the local sports store and purchased a long distance driver disk as well as a mid-range disk. We just went to the local park and aimed across the park for trees trying out the new disks. My son definitely has the distance throwing mastered. Back to the course we go again tomorrow.

Seriously looks like this could be our "sport" between baseball and soccer! I definitely like it more than golfing, although my game is still the same - tree to tree shots - but it can be advantageous in disc golf!

http://www.disclife.com/whatis.shtml

No comments: