Thursday, July 3, 2008

My "Little" All Star

Tonight was the final game of the All Stars for my son. They were crushed. In the first inning, they were down 0-7 with only one out when the first pitcher was pulled. Other than the 2 run out of the park homerun, a few of the runs could have been eliminated by missed balls by the first baseman. My son played third that first out of the inning. Then the second pitcher came in and my son moved to shortstop.


Let me mention that my son, like me, is motivated by money. Not that either one of us aren't motivated in general, but the idea of a monetary incentive, makes the effort all the more worthwhile. I hadn't really offered any incentive to my son for the All Star games, I didn't want to add any unnecessary stress on him. Tonight, I decided why not. We have gone to the batting cages a few times, Tuesday being the last time, so I know that he can hit and is due for a hit. I offered him all the money in my center console of my car if he hit a good solid base hit. Neither of us had any idea how much money was in there, but I knew it was at least a few dollars. Afterall, that's where I throw change if I go through a drive thru or grab something while filling up the car.


My son played an excellent game. If it weren't for the first inning, they actually would have been ahead by two runs going into the final inning. The other team had hit two homeruns out of the park, a short field of 200 feet, but more than our team could hit! In the final inning, the bases were loaded and a player on the other team hit a grand slam. We ended up losing by 8 runs.



My son hit two solid base hits up the middle. He also fielded exceptionally well, catching a line drive and snagging a few great balls to get the players out at first and one going to third.



He was pretty excited about finding out how much he won. There was $12.16 in my center console! Not a bad night for him, not a bad night at all!



They didn't advance from the pool play, which I'm not entirely sad about. They do have one final weekend tournament coming up and fortunately practice is only twice a week until then!

No comments: