Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Seizurecise

Last night in the throes of exhaustion and high humidity, I lethargically committed to myself that I would get back to the gym and participate in one of my favorite group work out classes. Mind you it's been a long time since I went to the gym, not to mention participated in a class. But I knew that if I didn't leave the house, I would torment myself endlessly about wanting to be at JC's race, since that's what I did for many months and I am still dealing with that void.

I walked to the gym and arrived early to wait for the class before ours to finish. Still lacking motivation, I decided not to do anything remotely exercisish in the ten minutes before class started, so I sat on the stool at the nutritional bar at the gym and zoned out thinking about how I could walk out and feel all the better for doing so.

The exercise class is Body Pump which uses a weight bar and weights to do a variety of exercises. I have always found it challenging, especially since I've been having occasional wrist flare up pain - likely induced from participating in the class and adding to much weight!

I have to admit that I was fortunate that only a dozen or so people were in the class that had they not been focused on the teacher and themselves, would have witnessed me. Because had anyone been paying attention to me, they may have thought that I was an epileptic.

Seriously, the one hour class was an agonizing feat of me experiencing Seizurecise. Shaking. Convulsing. Sweating. Oh yeah, it was bad. At one point, I literally thought that my legs were going to give out and I was going to plummet the two feet to the ground thus crashing my head on my lightweight barbell while toppling on top of the exercise step bench. Really, that stuff does go through my head. All the while, I glanced at the teacher who periodically would monitor everyone in the class to make sure we were OK. Did I LOOK OK? I suppose in the scheme of things, that's all that really mattered, right?

When it was time to move down to the bench for tricep work, that must have been awesome to observe. I couldn't steady the bar for anything. As the bar came down to the forehead for three counts and back up for one, I shook, I convulsed, I panted (possibly a slight exaggeration) and hoped that at any one time I wouldn't lose my grip and have the weight bar smash into my forehead. Exactly how would I explain that to others?

I did manage to finish the class. On uneasy wobbly legs, I mustered the short walk home. I have a general feeling of pain and exhaustion today which will likely be exacerbated tomorrow when the true pain sets in of exercise. I can only hope that the more I work out, the less I look like I'm suffering a seizure.

No comments: