Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Blind Date

As I mentioned in the previous blog, after MF and I decided to go out on a date, I had a blind date.

LK and I did everything together that summer. I set her up with several different friends of guys that I was dating. We went on numerous group dates. Never once had I been on the receiving end of a setup, until...

LK was dating someone and she wanted me to join them along with his friend. I told her I didn't want to go. I didn't want to meet anyone, but she told me I owed her. It only made matters worse when MF and I made a date, I definitely didn't want to go. I wanted to back out of the date, but that wasn't an option. So we decided to...drink.

I wasn't a rebel by any means. I never did drugs, despite having them readily available around me if I was interested. LK and I kept each other out of trouble when we were together, since at different times we were interested in trying PCP or Acid or pot. I never did - especially after my boyfriend had a serious reaction and I thought he was going to die. Experimentation wasn't worth life. But alcohol, that was a different story.

I can't even recall the names of the boys that we went out with that night. I know that they were picking us up at my house. LK and I decided, likely I convinced her, that we should do shots to help enjoy the dreaded evening more. She did vodka and I believe I did Gin. Afterall we couldn't drink too much of one thing to have my parents notice (which my mom confronted me on at a later date and I denied it profusely and turned it back on her. Whether she believed me or not - I thought I was convincing - I never did get in trouble!). My memory recalls that I did eleven shots and she did nine in half an hour. Looking back, I don't know how we didn't get alcohol poisoning. Maybe the nasty alcohol had already been watered down by my older brother!

Needless to say, we were wasted. The boys couldn't find the house. We walked around the block and managed to get them to the house. We went to play indoor miniature golf. As usual, I had borrowed one of LK's tops. I still remember some of that evening as if it were yesterday.

There was a hole with a water hazard. I remember trying hard to stand straight and not slur my words. I was laughing uncontrollably. The guys asked us repeatedly if we had been drinking which we denied the entire evening. Were they really that gullible? I warned everyone about the water hazard and then I hit my ball directly into the water. I went over to pick up the several balls in the water and lost my balance. I seriously fell into the water of an indoor miniature golf course! Fortunately I didn't submerse into the several inches of water and only managed to get my arm wet as I caught myself.

The Manager and/or owner came over to us. She proceeded to get very angry and said that our kind wasn't welcome there. OUR KIND? Mind you, I was a lot precocious and confrontational so instead of backing down, I got mouthy. What did she mean by our kind? Our kind as in beautiful? As in young? She stammered. She stuttered. She became angry. I continued to go off on her and I can only imagine how foolish, cocky and red faced I had become. I told her that we had paid and that we were playing golf. Needless to say, we were able to stay and finish. I never once returned back to play indoor mini golf there again!

I don't recall exactly what happened the remainder of the night. I know that my blind date was interested and I wanted just as much to erase ever meeting him from my life before we met as after. He really was a tool and took a while of saying no to get him to understand I wouldn't date him again.

To this day, I've never gone on another blind date and I've never been so foolish to attempt to see how many shots I could do in a certain time frame, especially to avoid doing something!

No comments: