Saturday, November 1, 2008

Whistle

I must reiterate that sometimes I can be very naive.



I'm not a huge fan of shopping, not a fan by any means. I'm all for a good deal, but if it doesn't present itself to me, I seldom hunt it out. Of all my vacations, I seldom have purchased souvenirs. I like money (Okay, I LOVE money). Any kind of money. So I've made a point to obtain foreign currency at every country I've been to. I have no intention of making it rich off my foreign monies, but I enjoy collecting them, as does my son.



Purchasing other souvenirs or gifts doesn't come easy to me. For my Europe trip I was asked by a friend to purchase chocolate in every country. It turned into a chore. I didn't buy any other real gifts, nothing seemed worth of purchasing. Grenada, my son and I each purchased t-shirts (which his "broke" after the first washing) and then had our money. Riviera Maya wasn't any different.



Seeing that we didn't leave the resort, we shopped at the stores on site and the local vendors. I did make a decision that I was going to purchase a necklace before I left. I have to admit, that I think I got a good deal. Regardless, I love it and that's all that matters!



I was looking at the vendors and came upon a whistle. It looked like it was made of onyx and it was in the shape of an alligator. I know that my son is 11, but I thought it was pretty cool. I didn't attempt to blow the whistle, but curious I inquired of the cost and learned that it was $20.00, far too much for a whistle. I would have paid $5.00 but not being the bartering kind, I moved to the next table. JN made comments with the vendor about it being illegal. What?



So I asked how a whistle was illegal. It clearly must have been because the whistle was made of onyx and it couldn't be brought across the border. Right?



Unfortunately I didn't think of taking a picture of the whistle. Here is another form that they were selling but not in the alligator shape (they also had penis whistles but I didn't feel that it was appropriate):





JN in complete hysterics, thinking I was completely being sarcastic about the whistle informed me that in fact, the alligator was not a whistle, put a pipe.


Seriously?

No comments: