Sunday, November 23, 2008

Shower Surround Remodel


On Friday, in honor of my birthday(s) present to myself, I had a new shower surround installed. I really do like it! Actually, anything (well almost anything) would have been better than what I had. I know that it could have been worse, but I was tired of the different hardware, the discolored walls and the caulk.


I had a 4" tile, one piece acrylic surround installed. The installation included replacing the tub hardware, switching the new hardware for the existing unreplaced hardware, updating the plumbing lines, switching the lines, raising the shower and shower head, and installing a built in curved shower rod.
I have to admit (yes, I do admit and acknowledge my issues) that I'm not the easiest of customers. If I know what I want, I want it. The tub hardware to be installed in my brass bathroom, was going to be chrome. Mr. Tub asked if that was OK. WHAT? How in the world would that be remotely acceptable? Fortunately for Mr. Tub he had an extra brass drain kit in his truck or else he may have suffered some limb damage.

I remembered to mention to Mr. Tub that the hot and cold water lines were backwards. Mr. Tub didn't want to believe me. I'm pretty sure after nine years, I know if the hot water is backwards (I think). To verify, I made a few calls and proved that it was in fact backwards. Mr. Tub was still leery (afterall I'm just a dumb girl) - why he didn't turn the water on for himself, I'm really not sure. Needless to say, Mr. Tub switched and soldered the lines, and now the lines are...wrong. WHAT? I have no idea how in the world that is possible, but what's another nine years with it being wrong?

I did forget to mention that the shower head was to be raised. How is a girl suppose to remember everything? He raised it a few inches, but nothing too significant.

The walls were sound other than some rotting behind the hardware/faucet wall, which Mr. Tub willingly replaced. He also lowered the downspout to eliminate splashage (what a guy!).

During the process, I occasionally snuck in to take a peek and a picture of the process. Mr. Tub admitted that he is NOT a fan of the 4" tile. Great. He said even with the squeegee that water stays in the grout lines. Too late now.



I have to say I do really like the shower. My biggest complaint...the curved shower curtain rod. I guess I'm not that trendy. My son LOVES it. However, it's chrome. Why in the world would I have purchased a chrome/stainless steel shower curtain rod? After a few phone calls with the salesman, I left it that it was completely unacceptable. Brass or white. Apparently the rod doesn't come in either, hmmm... So Mr. Tub actually went to Menards to find me another shower rod. He came back with some built in two-track contraption in white that I just wasn't fond of. So he put back up the curved one and I'll wait for my straight brass rod replacement. Regardless of the color, I am not a fan of the curved rod. It shows the shower wall. I'm pretty sure it's too late to change my mind now with the drilling holes where they are, so I'll forever show shower wall. Sigh...such is life I suppose.

No comments: