Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Tattoo

I've never really ever had the desire to get a tattoo. I'm not one on physical pain and torture. I do enough of that without asking for it. Besides that, I had no desire to permanently mark myself in anyway.


At least that's what I thought until I went to Mexico.


I've always thought that if I were to get a tattoo, it would be one of comical relief. I have had two knee surgeries, the most recent was eight years ago when I had reconstructive to replace my ACL. It left a scar about 1.5" long and a few centimeters wide. I used to joke that if I were to get a tattoo I would have two balls added, one on each side of my scar to represent a penis. Furthermore, I would joke that if and when I decided if I wanted the penis to look erect or flaccid upon viewing, that's when I would get a tattoo. I didn't want it to be anything completely obnoxious, but one that you would have to take a second look, as it couldn't seriously be a tattoo of a penis.


You only live once, right? I'm not getting any younger and Mexico presented the perfect opportunity for a tattoo.


Alcohol and a tattoo parlor within walking distance from the beach. Not to mention the peer pressure from JN as she wanted to get her second tattoo.


I have to admit the look on the two men's faces, Roberto and his buddy, when I asked if they could make my scar into a penis was... PRICELESS. I was hoping to only have the balls added, but with the language barriers and their belief that it may not look like a penis without additional work, I now sport a full penis on my right leg.


While I still can't write my name in the snow while peeing, I have a penis.


I have to admit that it's been rather entertaining to see people's reactions when they notice the artwork. I even found humor in the dead silence when I told the bf that I got a tattoo. And then his response, "I thought you said you would never get a tattoo?"


I haven't mentioned it to my mom yet. Oh how proud of me I'm sure she would be!






All I can say is....Thank God for Henna!

No comments: