Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Split Second Decision

Every day, every moment, even every second we can and are faced with split second decisions. The choices that we make and how they impact not only our own lives but the lives of others.

What if?

I had the opportunity, the split second chance to make a difference. In that moment, I chose to do the right thing. But what if I had decided otherwise?

As I was crossing the intersection of the yellow light, a truck turned left in front of me. Directly behind, practically attached to the bumper of the truck was a white PT Cruiser. The shock in the eyes of the Caucasian, overweight male. The sheer panic in his ever-whitening facade. The frantic hand-over-hand turning to avoid the direct impact.

The visions of the man as I could have chosen to smash directly into him. Would he have been thrown to the side? Would he have survived? Would I?

I knew that I would not be at fault. I had the right away. But...in that split second, I did have a choice.

I chose to do the right thing. To slam on my breaks and to veer hard to the left. I avoided the accident. I didn't even have time to honk the horn, glare at or even swear at the man.

I could have chose to not avoid the accident. I could have hoped for the best, that the damage to my car would have left me with a cool covered rental car. That neither of us were injured. That maybe my car would have been totalled and I could get a new car.

With my luck, I'm sure my car would have been totalled for about $2000. I'd be forced to drive a Ford Aspire fuchsia colored until a determination of totalization had been made. I and/or he could have suffered physical ailments for the rest of our lives or even worse.

It's amazing how one small split second decision can be clearly life altering. Which path will you choose?

No comments: