Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Baby Meat

Tonight I celebrated my 34th birthday. To some that may be young. To others maybe they will say 34 years young or others yet will claim not a day over 29. I'm completely OK with the truth. Maybe because as of now, I'm not a day over 34.


Anyway, digressing, JN and I went out to a "new" bistro in town. I happened to drive by the bistro a few months back so I decided maybe we should check it out. In reality, the bistro has been open since January! I met her there after my meeting. We were both very impressed with the bistro and the food.


Our conversation was filled with laughs and entertainment. And...I learned again how truly dumb (err naive, uneducated, or?) I am.


Here's the thing, I ordered veal.







For the past 34 years...I had no idea what veal was! I was especially confused when the waitress asked how I would like my veal prepared, recommending medium rare. What???

Isn't veal like the sister white meat to pork? Maybe it's the ugly step-sister to pork. (Yeah, that's it.)


So seriously, for the first time in my short 34 years, I've learned that veal is...Baby Cow!

I have to say that the food was delicious. But my new confirmation of baby cow led to further discussion:

Cow = Beef
Pig = Pork
Deer = Venison
Lamb = ?

I thought it was veal. Probably because when people say would you like lamb chops or veal chops, I assumed that they were one in the same. Maybe a slightly different shank. So I also learned that lamb is Mutton. In my mind lamb was vuitton.

What in the world is vuitton? Is it French for lamb?

Ok, well my search shows Louis Vuitton, designer. Yeah, not exactly what I had in mind.

No comments: