Thursday, November 6, 2008

Poor Follow Through

I have an issue with people saying one thing and doing another. I have an issue with people offering something and not following through.

If you can't do it, can't meet it, can't fulfill it...DON'T SAY IT.

Because truth be told, someone, somewhere, someday is going to call you out on it and learn that you can't perform. You are a liar, a sham, a facade. Save us all the hassle and learn how to either be honest or know what your abilities are and live up to them.

No one needs a glorified LIAR.

It seems like more and more, I seem to face this on a continuous basis.

Last night I went to a presentation for a vacation travel company that offered 2 round-trip airline tickets in the continental US and 3 day, 2 night stay in a Marriott and $30 diner club to Red Lobster/Bahama Breeze/Olive Garden and $150 free gas, just for listening to a 90-minute no pressure sales presentation.

Sounded great. Almost too good to be true, right? And better yet, the offer could be shared with friends and family that wanted to attend. Done deal.

Or not.

I'll admit that there weren't any pressure sales. Especially not the presentation that eight of us had as there wasn't enough marketing staff to number crunch with us. But when it came to the receipt of the "incentives" they weren't what they claimed. Surprise, surprise.

I really should know better. I should know that if someone makes a promise, expect that it will be broken. Expect the unexpected. We all know not to assume as it makes an ASS out of U and ME. But...can we always live our lives knowing that the glass will never be half full? Do we owe it to ourselves to want more out of others. To expect more. To demand more?

Demand is exactly what I did. Demanded that they fulfill their obligations which brought me into their company in the first place. I can't say that I won, not yet at least. The marketing person will call to follow through today (which today will that be?) with their marketing sales incentive offers.

I'm entitled to what was promised to me, right?

Isn't that what is wrong with society as a whole? Marriages dissolve since those promises of matrimony are not sacred and upheld? That there is always a way out, a back door to escape having to fulfill commitments and promises you make.

Blame. Excuses. What If's.

When will people start being responsible for their own actions and live up to their reputation or their words?

Somehow I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. But maybe someday I will see that my glass is 1/4 full.

No comments: