Monday, August 11, 2008

Vacation Jinx

Why is it that vacations always seem so bittersweet? I've mentioned before that since I do seem to seldom vacation, I always fear getting sick during vacation. My "A" personality doesn't always bode well with time off from the routine of chronic organized chaos that my body seems to shut down when I'm on vacation. Fortunately not too often though, since I just don't have time to get sick and clearly don't want to on vacation. I'm thinking this vacation will be different as I seem to have put my "jobs" on the back burner since meeting Mr. Date and haven't really made work all consuming and high priority.

Funny thing is, driving in the car tonight I was listening to John Tesh. Something about that guy, I find him oddly intriguing and I enjoy listening to food for the soul, or whatever it is. I know that I find him much more entertaining than Delilah, although I sometimes listen to her cheesy love songs but can't stand her lack luster emotional dedications. Anyway, digressing...John Tesh started talking about the "vacation jinx" and about how people tend to get sick when on vacation due to being overstressed and lack of sleep prior to the vacation. He listed several prevention techniques including drinking black tea daily for the week before, sipping bottled water continuously on the airplane, avoiding non-bottled water on planes as they are filled with germs, drink three bottles of water per day during vacation and use a nasal spray to lubricate the nose on the plane as planes are as dry as a desert. I'm sure there were a few other suggestions which I can't remember. Other than consuming water, I'm not really game for any of them; however, I did find the whole timing of the topic to be amusing as I will be traveling in a few days myself.

I'm truly hoping that I manage to avoid getting "sick" on vacation and upon return. Missing people will be enough for me to handle let alone being sick!

No comments: