Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Airline Aggravations

I think I'm almost packed, although again I find myself back online surfing the flight requirements and restrictions. This task is daunting.

It doesn't make matters any easier that I now fear that due to the most recent cancellation of half of our flights, that the remainder flights into Grenada are still in tact. We are initially flying Spirit, with two flights into Trinidad. Thanks to increasing costs, we now have to pay for checked baggage as well as seat assignments. I thought I would book our seats and for two of the segments for the three of us the seat assignments are $100, or we can take a gamble at free assignments at check in. Then there is the pre-pay baggage which is 1/2 price.

The baggage...is going to drive me crazy. I decided that it would be best to have one checked suitcase for my son and I in addition to a smaller carry on suit case and a back pack. When I weighed the checked luggage initially, it was right at 50#. It's unbelievable how much each pair of my son's almost calf length shorts weigh! I really thought that this trip packing would be easier, but with two people it isn't.

Then our flight into Grenada is on LIAT. I looked up their luggage policies, which include that baggage is free; however, carry on luggage can not exceed 15 pounds. Therefore, I'm guessing our smaller carry-on suitcase will be checked.

Spirit charges for snacks. Seeing that we are going to have significant layovers, I wanted to throw in some peanuts, crackers and candy into our carry on. It looks like in less than 3oz. this may be OK, but I'm not really positive on that.

I'm beginning to feel like bagging the whole packing thing, taking a carry on only with our bathing suits and calling it good. Oh yeah, but Grenada has clothing requirements - so guess that won't work either!

Like my frequent ponder as to "WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!", I'm now finding that I want to know why airlines and rules can't be CONSISTENT and COHERENT.

Sigh...back to the drawing board...

No comments: