Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sweating the Small Stuff

The old adage says, "Don't sweat the small stuff." How does one differentiate between the small stuff and the big stuff?

Another adage says that things happen in threes. How do you know which three to count?

Here's the thing, it seems like lately three things happen to me every day, if not every hour! Fortunately when I sit down to think about them, I can't remember them all so maybe they were part of that "small stuff". Or maybe, I really do have the ability to put things behind me and move on. Or maybe there will be some recollection when reminded by some event or occurrence that will happen.

A few random things that have happened lately, which just might be "small things":

* I opened my car door into the edger hanging on the garage wall. I left three deeper than surface markings on the door. (Flip side: I have a black car, the markings are white. The car, while in good shape, IS 7 years old.)

* Driving on my commute to work, my cruise control stopped working. (I found myself intermittently driving 83mph not even in a rush! 184 mile commute per day is not feasible without cruise! Flip side: I couldn't find a fuse associated with the cruise control - BUT the cruise resumed working that afternoon!)

* Yesterday my mom called in hysterics to tell me that our flight for our vacation next week was canceled on 7/23 and no one bothered to mention anything to us! However, the final leg of our trip from Trinidad to Grenada, we still had those tickets! (Flip side: We now have our third set of airline tickets for this vacation - and actually get to spend an extra 24 hours in Trinidad! I just have to book the hotel!)

* Showering tonight the shower faucet continued to move away from the wall and eventually fell off onto the floor of the tub, repeatedly. Conditioner in hair and one leg full of shaving cream, I ventured around the a/c house looking for a screwdriver to "fix" the faucet. (Flip side: I couldn't fix it, managed to get it to stay on the third time and I was able to finish showering. Tomorrow is another day and I will look at replacing it all together!)

These were just some of the small things that have occurred in the past day or two. There are many other things, but not really worth mentioning. I think that there was a time when I really did sweat the small stuff. I use to be competitive too, but I think with age, I've really mellowed out.

There are somethings that we can control and others that we cannot. And truly, what, other than life and death is really worth sweating for. Ok, I can think of a few...

No comments: