Sunday, August 10, 2008

Travel Anxiety

I suppose if I went back to when I first began bloging this spring before my trip to Europe, this blog would likely parallel it. I suppose it's just a matter of who I am. The nerves, the stress, the packing, the planning that all come from taking a trip. From leaving behind the stability and security of a routine, the familiar and loved ones.

Don't get me wrong, I do love vacations. I suppose it's everything surrounding the vacation that I don't love. It's the preparatory and the clean up that I could do without. At an early age, I learned that there was a lot involved with vacationing and that you always needed a vacation when you came back from vacation. Maybe not the best life lesson at such a young age. I'm not sure that it is a lesson that can be relearned, at least I've never managed to break the tradition.

If I were frazzled for the last trip, I anticipate that this time will be far worse. I leave in a few days and I have yet to pack. Yet to even begin to pack! I did do all of the laundry so everything is available for packing! I still would like to do some last minute shopping which will alleviate some packing, if I manage to find what I'm looking for!

Then there is the packing for my son. He thinks he's managed to help by picking out 14, yes 14 outfits! Pretty much I have to go through them and reorganize and pack.

I haven't managed to figure out exactly what luggage I'm taking either. With all of the new airline luggage requirements, it makes it a little tricky. Seeing that it will be very warm, I definitely don't need to pack warmer clothes so the luggage should be lighter. I'm debating on the whole check one bag and carry on one for the two of us, but haven't settled on it yet. I have all the measurements, so I'm sure I'll measure the five choices of suitcases a half dozen times!

While looking up the baggage requirements, I happened to again scan the requirements for international travel. Travel for minors traveling with only one parent. I did have my son's dad sign a letter (which he revised) to accompany with us on the trip. I considered having it notarized, but thought maybe just having the letter to be safe would be OK. Today I learned, I was wrong. The letter needs to be notarized. We leave in days! This is freaking me out since his dad has been so willing to assist me with the whole vacation planning in the first place.

I'm trying not to freak out. I've only eaten about a dozen double stuffed oreos trying to de-stress. I think I should resort to exercise instead. I think I'll go do the dreaded shopping, then sweat it all off with some brutal exercise and then move on to the packing and logistics of the trip.

If anyone has any suggestions to ease international travel or travel in general, feel free to let me know. I'm clearly open for suggestions!

No comments: