Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Competitiveness

I mentioned in the previous post that I think that my competitive edge has mellowed out with age. I truly believe this, although others may completely disagree.

In regard to competitiveness, I am my biggest competitor. I challenge myself hard. I don't feel that much is worth doing if I don't give 110%, or as much as I am feasibly capable of giving. This is pretty much in all areas. In play, work, family, friendships, relationships. Is it really worth doing if not done well or given your best? I do admit there are things that I don't do well, and I either discontinue doing them or I try to improve.

In games - card, board, sports - I'm a complete rule follower. I'm not one to believe that rules should be broken. And, if it's my game and I'm giving people instructions, I'm going to be honest and I'm going to follow the rules. Some see this as competitive when I point out "rule-breakers". I see it as honesty. I suppose in the scheme of things, following rules doesn't really matter. But for me it isn't about winning, it's about how you play the game.

Yesterday Mr. Date and I went biking. For anyone that knows me, I can be a FREAK (yes, in capital letters!) about exercising. I suppose some OCD comes into play. If I'm going to work out, I work out. No holds bar! I give everything I can and I usually manage to push myself and sweat a lot! If I'm not sweating and working out hard, why bother working out? I don't work out to get hit on. I work out to feel good and get in shape! I think this is just a family gene as my brother is really intense too!

Anyway, Mr. Date buys a bike rack and brings his bike over last night so that we can bike. We have discussions about how far and he seems a little....um...questioning. Like he needs to know exactly how far we plan on biking and where. I keep asking how far he can ride, how far does he want to go and he tells me he can ride as far as I want to go, he can ride all day long!

So that means to me, "He can ride all day long." Well, his idea of biking and mine were, well let's just say....not the same. Apparently he can ride around town all day long! I had even mentioned riding about 25 miles round trip and he didn't seem phased, but I opted against it due to time constraints. We ended up doing 10 miles since his butt was hurting from the seat and he worried about "bogging me down." Clearly I would have ridden a lot faster without him. I did try to slow WAY down to ride with him, but even that was a challenge for both of us! When I ride the stationary bike at home, it's a constant 14mph while I play cards, email, im or blog online. So when I get outside, I want to ride like the wind. I don't have other things to multi-task with and 14mph isn't really all that fast! Well, last night that was too fast.

Anyway, I'm beginning to realize that it isn't about finding someone to keep up with you, it's about finding someone that you enjoy their company.

Afterall, I think that my working out should be done solo so that I can go about my merry freakish way. Although today we did opt for walking. For those that don't know, last year I participated in the Michigan 3-Day, a 60-mile walk over three days for breast cancer. My mother is a survivor and I wanted to walk for her. Following the training guidelines was grueling and I found myself with plantar fasciitis and a heel spur. Set back from the training for many weeks, I changed from the Chicago walk to the Michigan walk and slowed down my pace. They advise training at a 20 minute mile, but I slowed down to 15 minute miles or slightly less. This was actually a little tricky since I was pretty comfortable averaging just over a 14 mile minute. I found time to get in the training miles, even the 18-15 mile back to back days while working full time and being mom! The walk for me was one of endurance, strive, motivation, competition, health and fitness. For most others participating it is about the support group and the cause. My goal was to attempt to finish one day in the top 100. We didn't start at the front of the pack any of the three days, back in the 1000's actually. My best finish was day three, I finished 8th. I walked with some serious walkers that trained at 13.5 minute miles and had participated in numerous walking marathons. Mind you, I'm not a walker. I HATED walking. Training was grueling. I was bored out of my mind. I thought if I never "walked" again, that would be too soon. It really wasn't that bad. Even now, I miss it. I do enjoy it, the wind, the exercise, the solitude. I also enjoy walking with people and miss walking with JA, DK and even my son!

So today Mr. Date thought that walking might be more up his alley. Of course I only walk with my z-coils and I'm back to my 14 minute mile. Mr. Date had on sandals. I was pretty sure he wouldn't be up to that speed and knew that I would walk at his. He said he walks 7-8 miles at work every day. Yep, I've heard that before too! So in an 8 hour day that's one mile per hour. Needless to say, I didn't push it and I walked with him. I don't know exactly how far we went, guessing maybe 6.5 miles or so, we were home in 2 hours. Mid-walk if not sooner, he seemed to be questioning walking. He then had a blister on the heel of his foot pop, so that didn't bode well but we were about three miles from the house at that point. Mr. Date confirmed that maybe he should stick to biking.

I told him that I would be more than willing to bike with him, as long as I got in 15 miles or so BEFORE we went out to ride! Afterall, I do need to get in a workout too!

No comments: