Sunday, August 3, 2008

Plum Tree

There is a beautiful plum tree in my yard. It is actually planted on the city property, between the street and sidewalk, where "my" yard technically begins. Of course, I'm completely responsible for the city lot's maintenance and upkeep. The city has two trees planted on every lot, although they are getting older and many have been cut down. My lot only had one and it was cut down after I purchased the house. The city could have planted another tree, but I decided to purchase and plant one myself.

I can't tell you when I planted the tree. It must have been, seven years ago or so. Prior to two years ago, I couldn't have told you it was a plum tree either. All I know is I love the dark purple/blood red color of the leaves and the pretty flowers in the springtime. Two years ago when EB helped me landscape my yard, he asked me if I ever eat the plums. "What plums?"

I've never done anything to the tree. I've never used insecticides or pesticides or anything else to encourage the plant to bear fruit and flourish. I don't even know if they are edible. So tonight, after a mile walk, my son jumped and pulled one off the tree. I wiped it clean and tentatively, I ate it. I even allowed my son to taste it all the while with thoughts of snow white (if I could link I would to my animal stories) racing through my mind and that I/we might become terribly sick. The plum actually wasn't too bad, a little sour, but still good. I would eat them again.

See Mr. Date is giving me a hard time that I'm going to get sick from dehydration and sun poisoning. So I guess I decided to add a third option, food poisoning to the realm. If I'm going to get sick - why not go for the gusto?

No comments: