Friday, September 10, 2010

Debate Debacle

Have you ever felt so compelled to debate for the sake of a debate?  Or more should I say, for the need to try to get someone to see the bigger picture?

Often times, I find myself doing this.  I love a good debate or the ability to play the devil's advocate.  I love being able to see the "light turn on" in someone else's eyes or in their recognition of the situation.  Other times though, when my point isn't heard or understood, I become frustrated and question my own ability to communicate or get my point across.  And sometimes that frustration may come out as me being "Angry" or just "Snapping" when clearly this isn't the case (both what I was told by Debbie Downer during "the talk").

This post has nothing to do with dating.  I just processed it with a friend, so the point is moot, regardless. 

But to summarize the situation:
Three months ago my son had his annual optical exam.  One eye prescription changed.  He still had several pairs of contacts remaining.  We chose not to order contacts at that time.  My son has been commenting that he notices the vision deficiency.  I called to order contacts today.

The woman on the phone seemed to be rather young, immature and uninformed.  I inquired as to the cost differences between three boxes (9 months worth) and four boxes (12 months) per eye.  Apparently with a minimum of four boxes total, I get a 15% discount and a $50 mail in rebate.  There is no cost advantage to purchasing 6 or 8 boxes total.  I had made up my mind that I would purchase 9-months worth when the woman told me that the max I could purchase was 9-months.  Why?  Eyegirl - help me out!

My thought is, if I want to purchase a years worth of contacts, I should be able to.  While my son would be due for an exam in June 2011, I don't have to take him in at that time and can schedule it anytime there after if I do so at all!  Right?  If I chose to purchase a year supply today, I should be able.  She couldn't see my point, which was moot as I wasn't going to purchase a year supply anyway.  But again, I felt that this was a matter of principle and being told something I couldn't do, I found it annoying.

To me, and please tell me if I'm wrong, a vision pprescription is NOT the same as a medical/pill prescription.  I would assume that at some point the prescription expires, but...maybe I'm talking myself out of my own rationale.  The only pill I take is birth control.  My prescription is good for a year and I get three months worth at a time.  I understand that I can't wait until month 11 to order a year's worth since I can only get three months at a time; however, with contacts, it is a matter of wearing a weaker prescription potentially longer than necessary, right?  Isn't that my choice? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, you are incorrect. The FDA regulates contact prescriptions exactly the same way it regulates drug prescriptions. Because contact lenses go into the eye and have the potential to cause damage, or even blindness, if worn incorrectly, their are much stronger regulations on them than on glasses. It varies a bit by state, but in my state a contact lens Rx is valid for 1 year, and must be written out with a proper number of refills, etc, just like a drug Rx. So, if a patient were to come in 3 months before their Rx expires, technically they would only be allowed to order 3 months worth of contacts. I never enforce the law, unless the patient is known to have a history of lens abuse and/or damage from past abuse. So, I will usually allow a patient to order a year of contacts on an Rx that expires in a month, but I don't have to. I'm just being nice.

Anonymous said...

*there are much...

I hate when I do that. I do know the difference! Duh! :)

Ms. Independent said...

Even as I posted, I knew that I was wrong =) I think I was just more irritated with the vascilation of the conversation with the woman that she couldn't speak with conviction! Thanks for clarifying! Love the wedding pictures & posts!