Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Arizona Vacation

Since I never did blog about my cruise this spring break to Mexico with my mom, I'm feeling like I should at least post some pictures of our Arizona vacation.  T and I had a fabulous time exploring Arizona - 1200 miles of driving definitely allowed us to see a lot of Arizona in the week we were there!

The weather was HOT!  The temperatures reached 110 plus and I found myself perspiring profusely at times; however, after being back to Michigan, I almost feel that the heat was more intense at home at 90 degrees.  We took a while to adjust to the time change of three hours and especially in trying to be in bed by 3:00a.m. after we returned home!

We were able to connect with my uncle and aunt that live in Scottsdale and were only miles from where our condo was!  I hadn't seen my relatives in twelve years and even then, never spent much time with them.  I was somewhat bummed to not be able to see my cousin, but honestly, when we made the plans, never anticipated seeing my relatives! 

We went to Kartchner Caverns and loved it!  Wish we would have been able to take pictures as the memories will fade.  The mountainous view was absolutely breathtaking.  Much more serene and surreal then my winter trips to Colorado that were awesome but just not as picturesque.  I miss driving around and seeing red rock and mountains.  The Grand Canyon was breathtaking and amazing.  No we didn't walk down to the bottom and we didn't hunt out a donkey.  We walked around the top of the Grand Canyon for several hours on the paved path.  T had had enough as he was eager to get back to Sedona and Sliding Rock.  Besides, how many pictures did I really need of the Grand Canyon?  I went and saw the Grand Canyon.  I was more than happy!

We managed to get in a couple of the local sites that were paid for by the hour long timeshare presentation we sat through.  Actually the hour went quickly and was not painful in the least!  The hour paid for four hours at the Crackerjax - a local entertainment place with miniature golf, go karts and bumper boats and there weren't more than 20 people there at any given time!  We also went and explored the Worldlife Zoo and Aquatic Center which also was extremely unpopulated!  Definitely a great way to spend the visa card from the presentation!  We also went to see the Diamondbacks.  We didn't have tickets and my uncle suggested we drive to a parking lot and take the Light Rail to Chase Stadium to save time and money and purchase tickets from scalpers.  Scalpers are illegal, right?  I am a law abiding citizen.  As we were walking to the stadium a woman turned and asked us if we had tickets.  She then gave us two tickets, for free! 

So in scrolling through the 150 pictures or so, here are a handful:

Scottsdale, Arizona
Worldlife Aquarium, Litchfield Park
Sedona - Red Rock
Grand Canyon

We had a blast on vacation and managed to make it extremely affordable (although now I have car insurance, basement bills, back to school and vacation bills accumulating!)!  Of course we were told we were insane for travelling to Arizona in the middle of August!  I think it was will worth the trip and the heat - especially to not have to deal with crowds as school was back in session too!  If I had to do it again, other than a car with cruise control, I wouldn't change a thing (well except for picking Williamston on Priceline for a hotel!)!
Grand Canyon
Sliding Rock

Sliding Rock, Sedona

Chase Field




 

No comments: