Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bread & Knives

My son, for the life of him, can't seem to grasp the concept of how to use a knife, correctly. I have tried, for almost NINE years to teach him. I've tried to have others assist him. For some reason, he can't figure it out. I used to think that it was his fear of cutting himself, but even with butter knives he struggles! I do my best to not enable him and silently I laugh equally as hard as I wallow in misery while I watch him try to slice and dice anything on his dinner plate with futility.

This morning I had the rare opportunity to watch him make his sandwich. While there are coldcuts which would eliminate his need to spread jelly on bread, he has opted for his favorite PB&J. His hand is awkward. The jelly is smeared. His strokes are uneven and repetitive while the jelly remains little more than moved. It looks as though the knife is upside down. Is that really possible. It makes me reminisce of those that eat with their fork inverted, shoveling into their mouth. Why do these small nuances make the hair on the back of my neck raise? Does it really matter?

I say nothing and I continue to watch. What takes me a matter of moments to make a sandwich takes him minutes at best. What really gets to me the most though, all knife usage aside, is that he has spread the peanut butter on the wrong side of the bread! I can see prior to when he smashes his two pieces together that the bread is like a polar opposite. While they shall stick together, they will repel in only a way that two pieces of bread can.

Fortunately for him, he is proud of his sandwich skills and it all tastes the same!

No comments: