Friday, February 19, 2010

Dumb...

Do you ever have one of those times where you do or say something that you immediately regret? Well, I do that often, so let me rephrase the question...

Have you ever asked for something and immediately wondered why you did such a thing?

Friday after I left work I went to Blockbuster and returned a movie. When I walked out to my car I noticed my front passenger tire was flat. Well beyond low, but enough air that I could go the mile to a local tire repair and seek assistance. When I got there, the sign said open, but he was really closed. He was nice enough to throw air into my tire and thought it would get me to where I needed to go.

Of course it seems like I'm always having tire issues. I am. About a year ago I had purchased two new tires from Discount Tire. In January I had my tires rotated and balanced in order to drive to Colorado, which I didn't. So to find a month later, a flat tire, sigh. The other two tires, I had purchased from Belle Tire. I wasn't sure which tire was flat, but gathered it was likely a Belle tire. Each tire has a warranty of sorts. Seeing that the recent tires were from Discount, after talking to both associates, I went to Discount.

While I think it is clearly the "Discount Way", the tire was irreparable. Imagine that. Better yet, it was recommended that for a great deal of $237 I should replace both tires. While I still had time to go to Belle to get my limited tread refund, I decided I was there and it would be better to have four tires from the same store. The catch, they only had one tire in stock. So I paid for my tires and left with one.

I returned back on Tuesday for my other tire. Here's my point of the blog...for some crazy reason I decided it would be best to have a full size tire as a spare instead of my donut. So I asked the associate if I could have the tire if the tread wasn't too bad.

Immediately after doing so I thought, "What the f!@# did I do that for? What am I going to do with a tire without a tube or a rim?" Clearly at this point I couldn't tell the kid, "Hey you know what? Nevermind, you can keep the tire." Because really, what in the world am I going to do with this tire? It won't fit in my trunk since that only holds a donut. I also now have full replacement tires through Discount for the life of the tires and I have emergency road side assistance through my insurance.

But I didn't want him to think I was really dumb for changing my mind and I secretly hoped that the tread would be bad or that he would forget to put it in my trunk. Of course neither happened and when I opened the trunk half an hour later to put in my groceries, there in a nice white garbage bag was my tire.

I really should learn to keep my mouth shut!

No comments: