Friday, February 19, 2010

Small(er) Town Convenience

In the midst of one of our bouts of snow falling, I managed to have snow blower issues. While attempting to complete the driveway, the wheel fell off! Fortunately, it was just a matter of an end piece that kept the wheel assembly together; however, after ten years of home ownership and an hour later of attempts - I had neither a nut, wing nut or end cap that fit to reassemble the wheel.

Attempting to use the other snow blower, which I hadn't been able to start all season, I managed to get it to turn, however in doing so I failed to recognize that I was too close to the outdoor hose reel assembly and quickly discovered that the snow blower grabbed onto the hose end. Sigh...SERIOUSLY. Fortunately, I was able to yank the hose out from the snow blowers jaws and eventually even got the snow blower running. Although without gas in the gas tank and a dry gas can, that was short lived as well.

In the morning I went to the nearby lawn/snow blower repair place to find that while the yard was adorned with a variety of machines, the driveways were snow covered and trackless, thereby the shop was either closed or out of business. A nearby local hardware was open and I stopped in there.

Mind you, I did consider actually measuring the wheel assembly rod to see what size cap I would need, but that would have been too easy and in my mind, I actually thought even with my depth perception issues that I could determine the right size. However, my twelve attempts to the basement and garage with a variety of things all failed miserably, a new found rejuvenation of acceptance and knowledge came over me the following morning that I would...just know.

I pulled into the hardware and there wasn't a single car in the lot. I wonder how in the Michigan economy a small hardware store can remain open. I didn't even see an employee car, so they must park in the back. I walked into the store and was greeted merrily by a few employees, likely family members and owners. I immediately asked for help and the man and I went to peruse their snow blowers for me to better explain what I needed and then off to the aisle with wing nuts and caps. Of course he asked what size I needed. What size you say? Hmmm...smaller than the width of my ring finger. Yeah, that's genius. Sigh, why didn't I measure?

So the man and I talk over options and I gage that I think some are too big or too small. I end up with three different options, two plastic caps and a metal cap. He repeats to me the prices, three times. Honestly, I don't care that they are .40, .90 and 1.80. He informs me that I can return what doesn't work. Seriously, I would drive back to return less than $3.00? Not being conceited or anything I say that returning what I don't use isn't a big deal, I just want to make sure I can reassemble the wheel.

I walk up to the register to pay. The younger daughter goes to ring me up and asks me the prices while her mother is behind me sweeping adding to the conversation. Oh, was I suppose to remember the prices? I just thought he was concerned that I needed to know the difference in the prices! Oops...so with my best memory, I recite them, which they verify by phone with the man because they are concerned about OVER CHARGING! If one of them works, I don't care what the cost is! The "mother" employee suggests I take my receipt so that I can return what I don't use.

I got home and two of my purchases were too big. And the third...fit just right!

It was nice to have the convenience of the family owned store and employees. They were very gracious and it was nice to see great customer service. I do hope in this economy that they have customers that invest more than a measly $3.00 so that they can continue to support their store and maintain their business. Because next time, I'll be sure to return!

1 comment:

Bossy Betty said...

I am always grateful my mom lives in a small town for just these kinds of reasons!