Thursday, February 11, 2010

Comfort Food

There are very foods that I really crave that I find comforting, with the exception of chocolate.

Sometimes I crave a bowl of tomato soup and an extra gooey cheesy grilled cheese sandwich. Other times I love to have a fabulous greek salad and fantastic breadsticks from my favorite restaurant. On Fridays I often crave a terrific extra hot bowl of New England Clam Chowder. But more often than not, I really don't have a specific comfort food that I really crave.

However, having said that, there is one food with modifications that I do love on rare occasions. I love a great chili dog! I grew up on the distant outskirts of Detroit, I prefer to say near Brighton/Novi area, but several times during baseball season we would watch the Tigers play at Tiger Stadium and go to Lafayette Coney Island and get fabulous coney dogs. Several years ago, my uncle and I went back to Lafayette and I was...disappointed.

Maybe because great memories are hard to replace. Or maybe because I have over the years revised my coney island to something slightly more healthy. I've even stopped eating the Koegel's that were my mom's favorite growing up.


My chili dog consists of Oscar Mayer 98% fat free wieners, Hormel turkey chili 98% fat free, mustard and light onions. Not only is it a healthier option, I don't feel so guilty or lethargic after eating two!

No comments: