Monday, December 7, 2009

'Tis the Season

With much procrastination, shortly after 9p.m. last night, I managed to have my house completely decorated for Christmas. Seeing that I don't have the outside electrical outlet, it doesn't really warrant my ability to hang outside lights. Otherwise, T and I thought it would be great to put DITTO on our house like the one going around the internet. Unfortunately, across the street is the only one with decent lights on and they aren't overkill.

I put "purple" lights in my two bedroom front windows. I hung them in an X; however, when I looked at them from the street they are more of a pinkish-red and look like I am hosting the anti-Christmas house with not one, but two X's. Oh well, thought that counts, right?

I hadn't managed to begin any of my Christmas shopping. Personally, with each Christmas I lean more and more toward doing away with gift giving for the family since it turns into a swapping of gift cards. I'd rather keep my money and buy myself what I want and they can do the same. Generic, unholy, unholiday-like...ABSOLUTELY. And you know what? I'm OK with that!

I'm still leaning toward a couple gift cards, out of mere convenience than anything else. But I will accompany them with smaller gifts and get them shipped off, and preferably before Christmas. I bought my son several gifts today as well as my mom and finished up my nephews!

So now that the house is decorated, my vacation is underway for the holidays, I'm beginning to almost feel Christmas like. I have a family that I work with that I was hoping to reimburse money for some home repairs. Due to the politics of the job, I personally would like to pay them out of my own pocket, I just need to figure out how they won't know it's from me. I think I may just get them a "visa" card or gift cards to the local grocer rather than money. I have another family that needs a crib. I offered today to give them mine, which I didn't sell in a garage sale a few years ago. Afterall, at 35 with a 12 year old and no interest to adopt or foster anymore, I won't be needing it! Then I will go through more of my son's old clothes and give a friend and co-worker clothes for her son.

'Tis the Season!

Why is it so easy to want to give to those less fortunate or appreciative than to "buy" or give to family members for the holidays?

No comments: