Friday, December 11, 2009

Date Night

Last night was "date night". I picked up T after practice and gave him several options of where we would go to dinner. His first choice was Subway, which was not one of the given options. Although truth be known, we both would have been completely happy and satisfied! He did pick one of the nicer restaurants in town, which was en route to our next destination.

I haven't been to the restaurant in years. I used to go frequently, as I had a never ending gift card. Finally the last time I went, we had an all out hurrah and managed to spend close to $80 for two adults and think that only included one drink! The restaurant is divided into two sections, a fancy linen table cloth side with candles and then the casual side - table only. Although both provide the exact same menu. The hostess did ask where I preferred to sit, and as more of a social experiment, I let her choose.

Not surprisingly, we were seated on the casual side. We were the only table on that side for our waitress and we were often neglected as she was busy with the other side. We had a good meal and the company was fabulous.

Next we headed to our annual pre-Christmas date location where T makes a Christmas gift for Grandma. We enjoyed each other's company, mostly in silence, as we both worked diligently on our pieces of art. Mine was for T and I asked him several questions about it, but then did what I wanted. He would comment several times, "That looks cool Mom! But don't worry, I didn't look!"

T and I have lots of time that we spend together, since of course it is just he and I. But sometimes, caught up in the daily routines, we forget to cherish each other. To take time and do things out of the ordinary. To go above and beyond, sometimes in elegance and sometimes in the most simplistic measures. All treasures of a lifetime.

No comments: