Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Living Life & Vacation

Last week I posted on Facebook, "When you least expect it and you become blindsided...become road kill, or pick yourself up, dust yourself off and carry on a little better for the wear and tear."

I received many concerned emails, comments and phone calls from that status update. It helped me to realize that there are people that genuinely care, care about me.

I meant what I said and I did pick myself up and I think that I've become stronger for the experience. I think that sometimes, people and events come into our lives for a reason. While that reason isn't always apparent from the get go, sometimes it's a lesson we learn or a realization we grasp after the fact.

As I sit here typing this, I am optimistic. I again feel like I am finding my own and making a decision to pave my own way. To again go back to the desire to be selfish and find self gratification. I've made plans with several friends I haven't seen in a while in the next week or two. I have things that I'm looking forward, although Christmas decorating and shopping aren't in that list!

I still can't believe that it is officially December. It has been a blessing that here in Southwest Michigan we have yet to see any snow. I really don't mind the snow - it's the other drivers and the plowing that I can do without. I'm getting excited about going to Colorado in January. I still need to use my free roundtrip airfare before April and was considering going somewhere between Christmas and New Years as my son should be with his dad during that time.

Tonight, the opportunity arose to go out to Colorado during that time. I could then purchase a seasons pass which would be cost effective for the possibility of almost two weeks of skiing. It almost seems surreal. Too good to be true. Can I really just throw caution in the wind and go? Why not? What is it that holds me back? Is it the fear of just taking the plunge or the fact that what if I get injured or the vacation time that I'm going to be taking or...OR WHAT?

I need to live my life and enjoy. If I don't live it, no one else is going to live it for me. Right? What do I have to lose? With so much to gain! Besides, when you realize that someone's friendship and yours in return causes happiness when maybe times have been difficult or trying as of late. When someone else is looking forward to your company and an adventure together and shares, "I think you're worth the extra effort especially if you keep causing me to smile like I have tonight ... it is amazing how one person can turn it all around. Thank you!" Just makes you thankful for friendship and that doors really do open when you least expect.

Maybe that horoscope was true afterall.

No comments: