Saturday, December 19, 2009

Gift Suspense...

How are you about giving and receiving gifts? Is the suspense too much to handle? Do you appreciate not knowing any secrets, any surprises, any details until it's time?

I've been known to not do well with surprises. I tend to want to know enough information to get me through - say a getaway weekend - or nothing at all - which then leads me to not being receptive or excited enough for the giver. I suppose gift receiving is harder than gift giving. What if your response isn't what the giver expected? I prefer to be the giver - although there are also the disappointments of not meeting the expectations of the receiver.

So I am truly torturing my son. I told him the other day that we would have to be home on Saturday for his first Christmas present between 12-5. It has been a barrage of questions since then - some which I've done my best to throw him off without actually lying about the answer. Because clearly, how many questions can one ask without narrowing down the answer?

Is it an event? No
Is it a person? No
Is it specific to Saturday only? No
Is it big? Yes?
Is it small? No
Is it long? No
Is it heavy? Yes
Is it light? No
Is it skiing related? No
Is it technology related? Ummm...maybe. No. Ummm...
Can you talk to it? Yes
Can it talk to you? Yes?
Do you jump on this? You can (in a figurative sense - but he doesn't know that!)
Is it meant for jumping on? NO
Can you throw it? You can (but please don't - I won't be happy!)
Is it meant for throwing? NO
Is it sports related? It can be.
Did you get this at the store? No
Did you make this? No
Would this go in my room? No
Would this go in the garage? No
Is it clothes related? No
Can I use it in the winter? Yes
Can I use it in the summer? Maybe
Can I use it in the spring? Yes
So I can use it year round? Yes
Would I have fun with this present? Yes?
Is this present a one and only time thing? No
Does this present move on it's own? No
Is it art and craft related? No

The questions have continued. The funny thing, in between him taking a break from asking questions, a commercial for Dish HD receiver, HD 140 channels and three months of free Showtime and HBO came on the t.v. Not once did he make a single comment about how cool that would be to actually have for our 1080p t.v. that is not HD.

He has officially proclaimed that he is...STUMPED. Regardless that I told him there was a HUGE hint provided sometime during his questioning. Which then threw him into a tizzy and a spew of more repetitive questions and a barrage of new ones.

Personally, I am loving this! I find this most entertaining!

Maybe he will truly be surprised when the service tech. comes to the door to spend the afternoon installing our HD and DVR. But for now, I'm enjoying his struggling to guess.

No comments: