Friday, December 4, 2009

Metaphors, Signs & Timing

The past month has been a rather whirlwind. I never would have thought that just a short month ago I would have met someone that entered quickly into my life and left even more quickly. Again, everything happens for a reason, whether we understand initially or not.

This morning I was reflecting, as I typically do. For some reason, I realize that I was missing the emotional connection. It could have been that things were going very quickly and I just went along for the ride, or it could have been something else. Or maybe I was emotionally connected and once that was shattered, there wasn't enough time to go back and pick up the pieces.

On my way to work, the one and only song I heard was Kelly Clarkson's song, Already Gone. Is that a sign? Especially given that had I missed that song and heard the songs in the playlist after, it would have represented something completely different.

Sometimes it's about the metaphors. Sitting on my desk, was my bowl from my breakfast yesterday morning, crusty oatmeal. I knew yesterday that I should have cleaned it. I should have, but I didn't. So this morning, without the proper tools, I was scrubbing the bowl clean with soap, luke warm water and my fingers. I did manage to get the bowl clean and made breakfast again this morning; however, had I taken care of cleaning it at the time, there would have been less time, effort and clean up required. I can only imagine how difficult it may have been had I let the bowl sit there for days without cleaning or attention.

It's amazing how there are so many similarities and metaphors throughout our lives. How little things that we can do today can save so much time, energy and heartache tomorrow. While it's true, don't sweat the small stuff and let go of which you can't control, take care today what you may want to put off until tomorrow. Because, tomorrow may never come.

No comments: