Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hidden Cost of Convenience

Last month, I realized that one of my two reoccurring utility bills could be paid online. I love the idea of paying bills online for not only the convenience, saving a stamp, but not having to write a check. I have been savoring my checks and don't feel like ordering more, since I use them so infrequently. I set up the online account and paid the first bill online. Done deal.

This month, I went online to pay the bill and what did I notice? A new convenience handling charge to pay online of $5.00. Is this something new that they have decided to throw in or did I inadvertently miss it in my previous excitement of convenience. While the cost isn't severe if your bill is up to $500, only 1%, it can be upwards to a 10% charge for a bill of $50.

I think I'll stick to dropping a check in the mail every month. Some things really aren't worth the minute of inconvenience.

No comments: