Sunday, September 14, 2008

Vacations

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on vacations. And I'm definitely not ready to call it a year before taking a few more. Not that I have anything else international in mind, per se as it isn't completely out of the question, yet.

I'm just not sure that planning vacations is really my thing. Clearly I haven't been the most successful at it this year! I guess I just wish that I could go on a vacation that was already planned. Maybe just be told what the weather will be like to know what to pack and go. Or maybe I just want to jump in the car and drive. Drive and see where I end up and what I happen to see. Maybe that will be more likely now that I won't be commuting, but that's highly unlikely for me, unless I'm the passenger. See because I'm a thinker, I'm a planner. Why even when I don't want to be, do I find myself in that take charge/planning role?

TS and I have been talking about getting away for a while now. She would be great fun to go to an all-inclusive and have a good time. We've even discussed maybe going out west and seeing the sights. I tentatively picked a week, although actually making arrangements for it won't necessarily be all that simple. She's suggesting California or Wyoming.

My brother and wife are doing a house swap in December to Bisbane, Australia. How cool is that? I figure, why not go too? I mean they have a house. Regardless that they haven't had a vacation since well likely they had kids, four years ago, but they wouldn't mind, right? Besides, I wouldn't stay there the whole time, I could venture to find my Australian friends from my European vacation. While it sounds great, I would NEVER do that to my brother and sister-in-law. So this holiday, I think that my son and I are laying low and sticking around Michigan. At least that's my thought for now.

JN and I are planning a weekend to Cedar Point, Ohio in October for Halloweekends. I've never been to Cedar Point during that time. Actually this will be one of the first times that I will be going along for the ride as JN is making the arrangements! I'm pretty excited about that!

Mr. Date was hoping to go away for a weekend. I was finding my childless weekends filling up fast, so I made a weekend switch and we now have a weekend in October to get away. Of course still being rather new in the relationship, I'm finding myself quickly frustrated and taking on old habits and possibly resentments about getaways with a boyfriend. I know that I shouldn't, but some habits are hard to kick. So we picked a time, but actually understanding what he might want to see and do isn't going as well as I thought. He seems to still struggle with having an opinion of his own and I don't want to make all the plans and arrangements of a certain type of getaway to learn after the fact that he wanted something completely different. And in thinking about planning for that weekend, it has me evaluating the relationship, the kids, the future, and ultimately not failing.

Maybe that's what it all boils down to is failing and disappointment of myself and others. Planning things for myself is so much easier as then I have only me to worry about and me to disappoint.

No comments: