Monday, September 29, 2008

Football Survivor Pool

In addition to the posting on things happening for a reason with my tire gage, my son's football pick was based on gut instinct.

See, I encourage gambling.

If drinking was legal, I may encourage drinking too. It seems that when things are made available, more often than not, we don't want them. France doesn't seem to have an issue with drinking and they don't have a drinking age. For now my son says that he never wants to try drinking, I'll give him a few years. He has had "beer bread" which he freaked out about initially but later admitted he tried it and "it was good".

Back to the gambling...years ago my son received his first instant lottery ticket. He's even helped pick numbers in my occasional lottery picks. There have been a few times he won with a scratch off ticket, but the losses far exceed. I used to give him the option of getting money or lottery tickets and he quickly learned that lottery tickets weren't worth the risk.

The Survivor football pool is a different story.

This is the third year that my son, now 11, has participated in a Survivor football pool. He loves football and it is a great way for him to follow the game and have fun. The first year he made it to week 6. Tonight he reminded me of that fateful turn of events during the game that knocked him out. Last year, he wasn't so fortunate to make it past the first week. This year, he's survived past week #4. A great feat since he has surpassed 42 fellow gamblers that have all reached their demise.

There are 6 people left in the pool. My son would love to win it and of course with the entrance fee and my fees, he'll be lucky to get even 30%, but the gloating that he's made it as far as he has is pretty cool. He's even decided that if he wins, we should purchase a Wii (afterall it will be great exercise for us both!).

As for the gut instinct, my son decided not to go with Denver or Dallas this week, both favored to win. He said something in his gut said that they would both be upsets, and they were!

Maybe it's luck. Maybe it's talent. But whatever it is, by golly I think he's got it!

No comments: