Friday, September 26, 2008

Columns or No Columns?????

I swung by the house after a late lunch with JN to see if E was at the house painting. I hadn't heard from him all day and I could only guess what he may be doing. I was pretty thrilled to see the house when I approached the neighbors driveway. I wish (maybe more than once) that my house was bigger and lurking out amongst my neighbors so that I could see it up the road, but I can't. All I can ever see from up the street are my crazy iris and my rhododendron bush that is strategically placed in the middle of my yard.

When I get out of the car, E is there painting. He's made significant progress on the house and I'm ecstatic, until...Until E starts dancing around half mumbling something about "Change". I hear "change" and "embracing" and some "oh's and ah's" which can only mean it's not good. Not good at all.

But from first glance, I don't notice anything that would revel me into a down whirl spire of angst and potential anger. And then I walk to the back of the house.






AND I'M PISSED! I'm livid that I made it very clear, MANY times that I wanted character in my house. I know that E, the painter has these ideas of his own, but after nine years I want to show the character that my little charming house has (or at least make some attempt to show it)!

I try to be rash. I TRY! See, because I think for the most part, I can try to remove myself from the initial shock and see things clearly (most of the time - although sometimes it takes me a few minutes - err days - err years!). And to be honest, the green columns didn't look bad. They actually look good, but IT IS NOT WHAT I WANT.

So, a quick blog to get some opinions and a chocolate peanut butter chip cookie later, I'm dealing. And what I decide is that I LOVE THE COLUMNS A DIFFERENT COLOR. JA likes them green. JN things the off-white/light tan whateveryoucallit color of the house looks pink. E thinks the color looks peach. Maybe I AM COLOR BLIND.

What it comes down to is regardless of all the finite decisions of what trim, corner, column to color what color, I made a decision. I had the image in my mind and while I've made a few changes, I'm not going to concede to another one, five or nine years of a house lackluster in character and in one color.

Not this year, at least.

No comments: