Thursday, September 4, 2008

Grenada Departure Day - August 21, 2008

Due to the lack of air conditioning throughout the night, the room was beyond muggy in the morning. Seeing that I had spent much time the day before packing and repacking the suitcases, there wasn't much that had to be finished before leaving. I swear that the suitcases were a good 5#'s heavier a piece which definitely was going to cause problems with checking them in at the airport (but I somehow avoided additional charges!).



I left the resort at 7a.m. and hiked in the other direction. I didn't get very far down the driveway before I had a slight mother panic meeting a Grenadian heading up the driveway walking his bike. I headed back to the villa that I left unlocked with T sleeping inside and went back to lock the room. While there was nothing to alert me of concern while in Grenada, I can never be too careful when it comes to my son!



About 10 minutes into the hike, it briefly began to drizzle. I saw several cows and bulls along the path and heading out toward the rocky pier I observed a single man. James had mentioned several beautiful beaches in the direction that I was walking and claimed it was about a 1.5 hour hike. I hadn't a clue what he meant as I was along the shore but didn't observe a single beach. I couldn't find a visible trail so I ventured up a two-track road instead and quickly found myself heading far from the resort. Eventually I hit a paved road that met up at a split street to head back to the resort. I was able to observe the locals and the morning bread delivery man during my walk as well as a variety of animals on the side and middle of the road including chickens, rooster, puppies, dogs, goats, cows and sheep. I arrived back at the resort in under 1.5 hours. I asked James how far it was to the bus stop, where the forked road was, and he became instantaneously suspicious that I was asking as I was writing some review on the resort. I told him that I hadn't yet and that I wanted to know as I had just walked back from there. He estimated it was over a mile.






I almost managed to lock us out of the room, for the third time. Fortunately I had noticed that something in the lock on the door was broken. I had T stay in the room and I closed the door and tried the key, to no avail. I informed James of the lack of air conditioning and the broken lock on the villa. Brian fixed the lock as a pin had broken and the air conditioning was reportedly user remote error (according to James).


T & I headed to the "secluded beach" after lunch to work on our tans and play in the water. I tried to sit at the edge of the shoreline but with each wave I found myself covered in sand and seaweed. I eventually moved up to rest on a rock in the water but when I glanced at other rocks and saw water crabs and scorpion looking things, I decided to give up on getting any sun at all. T and I just spent the next hour looking for ocean life.





I did a walking camera tour of the resort for memory sake of our vacation "paradise". We finished lunch and left for the airport with Vicky and her boyfriend Michael. As blogged about previous the bill and the argument with James at the airport was absurd. It was nice to leave Paradise Bay so that we could officially put that part of our vacation behind us. Vicky graciously hooked us up with her sister, Alana, to pick us up at the airport in Trinidad and take us to the hotel, a Courtyard by Marriott.


The plane was delayed briefly in Grenada and we were rather exhausted when we arrived in Grenada. Alana met us out front of the airport shortly after we walked out of the airport. Despite all the warnings and negativity of Trinidad, I found it to be rather welcoming and comforting. Trinidad is much bigger than Grenada, with over 1 million people. The highway wasn't too busy at that time of night.


The Marriott was more than welcoming. It was wonderful to be greeted at a desk by customer services representatives. I even received truffles as a welcoming gift and there was bottled water in the room. Things that I will no longer take for granted! The hotel offered 24 hour pool, exercise room and internet. I didn't even have to find someone to use any of them! The bathroom was clean and had towels, toiletries and good lighting! Mom was thrilled that the room had a phone, alarm clock, coffee pot and a television! The room also had working air conditioning and running non-smelly water! We couldn't have been happier!


T & I were hungry so we walked over to Movietown and had a sub at Subway. It was a warm night and the sub was wonderful! It was after midnight by the time T crashed in bed, not having to worry about the bed bugs tonight!

No comments: