Sunday, September 14, 2008

Open House

Today my son and I went through an open house. It was the first open house I've been to in quite some time. I have this thing for open houses, especially those in and around my neighborhood.

I'm always curious to see what other homes look like. How do they fare? How do they rate? How do they compare to mine?

If I could make a career out of going through people's homes, I would. I don't want to go through their personal belongings or affects, I just want to see homes. I want to see construction, decoration, display. It really is nothing personal about the home owner and it isn't a personal fetish of mine. Maybe just another one of my issues.

The house was on the same street as mine. The square footage was similar, but the home for sale was a two-story. I found that the listing listed a garage and two full bathrooms, while the garage was truly a shed and the second bath was a half bath. The home was about twenty years older. I wouldn't have ever considered selling a house in the condition that it was. Not that it was bad, but I would truly be the type to clean and paint and do updates before I sell my house. Maybe it's putting your best foot forward and presenting in the best way possible for the best outcome possible.

It was enlightening to see how much the home was listed. Not that I plan on selling my house during the next decade or anything, but do we really know what our future has in store for us? It truly is a buyer's market; however, if that house sells and for anything close to what they listed it, I would say that maybe in this difficult economic time in Michigan, I might actually be living in an investment. Wow, now that would be a polar opposite from my 401k "investment"!

No comments: