Saturday, September 13, 2008

Commute No More

Yesterday afternoon I learned that I am officially, tentatively done with my commute to work across the state. No more 184 miles round trip per day! I can't say that it didn't happen at a better time, with the threat of gas prices reaching $5.00 per gallon or higher due to Hurricane Ike.

A friend of mine asked if it felt like I had been fired. I wasn't aware that I wouldn't be returning back to that worksite when I left for the week on Thursday; however, I did pack up all of my personal belongings, just in case. I guess I'm just anal like that. Apparently my local boss had contacted my lead to inquire about me returning at least another day or two per week. The lead mentioned it to me, which I was completely unaware, as she thought I had asked to return due to lack of work. See, I don't do well with boredom and the lack of work was driving me crazy, but I hadn't said anything to anyone about it. I was trying to accept that I was supposed to work where I was told, or at least report to where I was told! So on Thursday afternoon, I thought maybe I would return back to my local office two days per week.

On Friday afternoon I learned that this was not the case. They may call me back when things get busy. I'm not holding my breath. Especially since gas prices will far outweigh the mileage reimbursement and it will likely be the dead of winter when they may need some additional help. Maybe it was just the lead's way of being politically correct. Regardless, I am back to my three mile drive to work, sitting at my desk for eight hours straight, no travel reimbursements and catching up with friends and family after work instead of during the commute. Life really isn't all that bad!

No comments: