Sunday, February 15, 2009

Workout Update & My Diet Plan

Yesterday I did my first full circuit training workout. It was tough, but not impossible. I wasn't on the verge of puking, but probably shouldn't have had a lean piece of steak before hand. I was able to do the three sets of the circuit in a few minutes over an hour. I did lower the bicep weight as well as the incline on the treadmill during the third set. Additionally, I decided that the circuit shouldn't begin and end with the treadmill as then I would be doing 6 minutes of cardio for the back to back sets. So that took out 9 minutes of cardio that I had initially thought I had to cram into the hour workout. I was pretty sore by last night. Not to mention the 6.5 miles of stationary bike I did in the morning. I finally decided I had had enough after two games of bowling last night and watched the third - the 12# ball wasn't helping my sore muscles and back much.

Today I went to the gym for a 2:00p.m. surprise workout, which was actually Zumba. This was the first Zumba class that I have participated and while it wasn't entirely awful, I doubt that I will go out of my way for another. The instructor didn't talk much, so it was just the philosophy of do what she does. It was a cross between latin dance and aerobics, which doesn't bode well for someone with no rhythm and two left feet. Although I thought I fared pretty well, just wasn't as much of a workout as I prefer. The personal trainer I met with, was participating in the class as well and was working out next to me. She had my meal plan done early - so I picked it up on the way out. I confirmed that the circuit workout shoudl only start with three minutes of cardio.

My Diet:

Meal 1: Veggie Omelet - 5 egg whites and one whole egg. 1 cup oatmeal.
Meal 2: Protein Shake or 1 cup yogurt.
Meal 3: 6 oz chicken sandwich on whole grain pita bread or tuna sandwich.
Meal 4: Fruit of my choice or protein shake.
Meal 5: 6 oz. chicken, fish or lean steak. 2.5 cups salad with low fat dressing. 1 medium potato or sweet potato.

She further added that I could do something different for dinner - a kebob with peppers, onions and mushrooms and that if using butter it must be unsweetened and unsalted. I could also substitute 1 cup of green beans or 1 cup of brown rice for the salad or potato.

And there it is. For the birds if you ask me. I LOVE FOOD. I did ask for clarification as to how long in between meals - 3 hours. I can also "snack" on any vegetable in between meals if I desire. I inquired about milk and dairy and she said that I could use veggie cheese shreds on my omelet or fat free cheese on my sandwich. I didn't even bother to inquire about pizza, pasta, bread, bread and bread. I know better than that.

She said that the diet is high in protein to give me energy for my circuit training and offers about 1400 calories. According to her, IF I follow the diet and circuit training religiously, within 2-3 months I should lose 25 pounds.

While I'm always up for a good challenge, I will use the diet as a guide not my food bible and therefore anticipate that my results will not be as she predicts. I know that I will not make the diet a lifestyle change, so I have no intention of trying to prove that I can do it for 2-3 months to then go back to adding more carbs and other foods I love, only to gain significantly.

Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. That's my philosophy - so with my new guide and workout schedule, I'll see what happens after 8 weeks.

No comments: