Friday, February 20, 2009

Collecting & Cleaning house

I purchased my house a decade ago, ten years, ten years? Anyway...when I purchased my house the previous owner was gracious enough to leave behind cleaning supplies, hazardous chemicals, paints and miscellaneous items. Honestly, many of them still remain in my house. When I painted the basement a few years back, I did discard many of the old paints and chemicals.

Last night in my joyous celebrating of basketball practice being cancelled due to lack of availability by the majority of the team, I opted to clean house, well kinda clean house. I stopped mid-way making dinner and went into the bathroom to clean the toilet and the shower. Isn't that what normal people do when they have last minute free time? I realized I didn't have the shower cleaner in the bathroom (must have been sidetracked last time and put it away in the kitchen) and asked T to grab it for me. He came back with two, identical cleaners, just one was, well about ten years or so old. So while I cleaned the bathroom I thought T would be entertained with trying to find the oldest cleaning product under our kitchen sink. Most didn't offer dates, but the oldest that he could find...1996. I can only imagine the power of the clean now!

A few weeks ago I had cleared out my bathroom cabinets finding rubbing alcohols and peroxides from 1999. I suppose I should discard things more frequently, BUT in my defense it seems like when I do, then I need it. Never fails.

In addition to discarding the cleaning solvents, I went through my closet like a tornado and in a matter of minutes had a large pile of clothes ready to donate. I went into the storage room and grabbed the three plus garbage bags of already packed away clothes as well. Then I ransacked two more areas of hanging clothes. Within no time I had two industrial sized garbage bags, about 25 pounds a piece packed and ready to go. I even managed to drop them off today at Goodwill.

For whatever reason, over the past month I've really decided that I have too much stuff. I have just been cleaning house and getting rid of things. When I cleared out the bathroom and linen closet I also went through dressers and threw out two garbage bags full of stuff. When did I become such a pack rat? Or better yet, how to I manage to live a clutter free life (I'm not going green or selling all my worldly possessions and the clothes on my back and living out of a tent!)?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too, and doing the same thing... I think it is our "old" age... And wanting to get rid of the old and in with the "new"... I am on an organizing rampage!! Watch out!

-LL