Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Personal Trainer Plunge

It's done. I finally did it. For the second time in my life, I have hired a personal trainer. The first time was significantly different. I was getting back into the gym, recovering from a broken collar bone and wanted to know what I should and shouldn't do. It was a one time appointment. A done deal.

I talked to both personal trainers at my gym today. The first, a male, supports half hour sessions and recommends purchasing them in twelve session blocks at $20 per session. He suggests several sessions per week but has some clients that space it out to monthly. The second, a female (and former body builder), supports hour long sessions and more "circuit training". She discussed work-out plans, meal plans and personal assessments. She charges $45 per hour. The first guy doesn't believe in personal assessments - but will do a weight and body fat assessment if desired.

I clearly favor the second option. One, while I may be more motivated to push myself harder with a male personal trainer, I think a female trainer would be a better fit. One, she should be able to understand the female body and may be able to relate better. Additionally, I think the first session and assessments will be true to my ability rather than put me in a "show-off" or defensive attitude as if I have something to prove not only to myself but to the trainer. It does appear from talking to both that I do entirely way too much cardio and not enough weight training.

So without further ado, I bit the bullet and took the plunge and am meeting with the female personal trainer on Thursday. My homework: make a list of food likes and dislikes so that she can make a meal plan for me for the following week.

Do you think that Swiss Cake Rolls, Pasta and Veggies can be part of the plan?

Seriously though, my thing with food plans is I want them super basic, super easy and super plain. Forget all the condiments and give me the basics. Give me straight out protein and fruits and veggies. Give me my occasional pasta and bread and I will be entirely happy. Don't tell me I need to slave hours cooking up something I will devour in moments and don't make it so that I don't want to look at it or smell it, let alone eat it.

If she can do that, we will get along fabulously that if the pounds start to fall off - I'll end up doing and paying whatever she wants!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you.. You FINALLY buckled down and "did it"... I am sure that you will be happy you did...

- I am proud of you.

L.London