Thursday, February 12, 2009

Moment's Notice

Last night I was out with the guy that I've been dating (JC) and we were running around town doing some small shopping. We had killed time and then went to a little restaurant for dinner. I had a gift certificate that JA had given me for my birthday and seemed like a great opportunity to use it. JC had never been, so I'm all about experiencing "firsts".

The food was really good and it was a nice evening. Shortly after our soup and salad came out, a small commotion began nearby at a table seated with about eight gentlemen. I had observed the men when we sat down and had assessed them to be engineers on a "business" casual dinner. I overheard their waitress give them the specials and JC and I decided what we were going to order. I noticed the youngest of the group was barely 30, while others were in their mid 50's. The young gentleman was facing me and when I looked up I noticed that he had become ghost white, his eyes rolled upwards and his head was leaning against the man beside him. Despite the age of technology, none of the men at the table seemed capable of calling 911 and staff finally called. The man was brought to the floor and the others assembled around him assessing the situation.

Fortunately the man was fine. A nurse was in the restaurant and she aided the man until the paramedics arrived. The man was 31, married and an engineer visiting from Canada. He had no history of seizures, passing out, diabetes and was on no medication. He appeared to be physically fit.

Amazing how we take so many things for granted. And how in a moment, the world, "our world" as we know it can be completely different, completely turned around.

No comments: