Thursday, February 12, 2009

Personal Training Plan

I met with the personal trainer. I wish she had nice things to say about me, or my body, but well truth be told, she wouldn't have a job if she did, right?

From first re-introductions she told me to take a seat and then quickly told me to stand to give me my once overs and body feels. I apparently do not stand straight and my upper body leans downward to the right, possibly due to healing incorrectly from my broken collar bone injury. She states she can "slowly fix that". My triceps are weak, very, very weak, but I have good shoulder definition...on my left side ONLY. My legs, oh my legs...need to definitely tone the legs and "raise the butt". Then there is my mid-section, much work to be done. Sigh...That was all in the first TWO minutes.

Then we headed to the locker room for measurements and weight. She told me to take my clothes off, um, NO. I figured the sports bra and shorts were sufficient and she didn't say another word about it. Beyond my left shoulder looking better, both my right arm and right leg are slightly bigger than the left - although in my mind this is muscle size!

She put me on the elliptical although preferred the treadmill but with my knee surgeries the elliptical is better for me, while she mustered out a "circuit workout". She did the circuit with me, while testing my weight limits. She classified me as a "White Fiber" stating that I am strong, not necessarily having the endurance. She did say that she was impressed with my lunge form and my strength, that physically I am strong. So I guess it wasn't all negative.

She also hoped that I would commit to 1-3 sessions with her per week and if I agreed to 30 sessions, the rate would lower $5 to $40 per hour. Gag...My intention was to get a baseline workout, direction and see how I could do. So now I have the plan in place - an 8-week workout that I should do three times per week with the goal of doing the circuit three times in an hour. In between the circuit training, I can do cardio and abs. After Monday she will have my meal plan ready confirming I drink too little water and need vitamins for starters.

My circuit consists of: treadmill (3 minutes), step ups, squats (w/5# dumbbells on shoulders), walking lunges, lat pull down, close grip (rowing), tricep push down, and then free weights of tricep kick back, biceps and side lateral raises (standing flies), then following up with hyperextension (inverted/reverse sit-ups), two variations of ab exercises and another three minutes on the treadmill.

I think the circuit is definitely manageable. There were times that it was slightly difficult, but typically after the increase of weights after I completed one set of 15. With the tricep push down I did 45 as she raised the weights three times. She assured me before we began that her goal was to push me to the point of puking. Yeah, that wasn't close to happening, not today at least. I didn't schedule another session with her as I want to try it on my own for a week or two and then meet with her again to see about progress. Weight wise, she didn't seem all that confident, but she felt that I could get down five pounds lower than my goal weight, which is a total of 23 pounds. I didn't ask her what time frame that was - as I'm positive it won't be in 8 weeks! But, it is good to have goals!

No comments: