Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Holiday Traditions

I wouldn't say that I come from a family of long traditions. Since my son's father and I split when my son was only six months old, any traditions that I may have had, went out the window. Specific dates have absolutely little meaning or worth to me. It isn't about the day, it's about the event. Celebrating when you can in the way that you can, that matters most. Maybe that was my was with accepting that for the next 18 years holidays would be alternated.

I do enjoy spending holidays with family. And while I prefer spending with my family, I think over the many years, I've actually welcomed celebrating them with others families as well. Not being in a relationship has been a wonderful welcome - no houses to split our time and schedule with, extra presents to buy, no additional obligations. The Ex-Bf's parents are also remarried, so between the four sets of families as well as my son's dad's visitation, holidays were more than hectic. This year, I had none of that. None.

Merry Christmas!

Christmas Eve Day I spent wrapping gifts and catching up on movies. The guy that I'm spending time getting to know had asked if I wanted to get together after his family gathering. I really expected that it would be late and he would lose track of time, he didn't. Seeing that not much was open, he came over and we spent hours talking and watched a movie. It was nice. It was a Wednesday. No gift exchange. No pressure. Nice.

Christmas was spent at home with just my son. He opened his presents in a matter of ten minutes, if that. I even realized, not once did I consider getting out the camera and taking a picture. Seriously, what is wrong with me? It was just nice, pleasant and quaint. I made a decent dinner, but nothing too obscure or out of the ordinary - but my son did wish that I made the homemade stuffing instead of the Stove Top!

Today we will head to my parents to celebrate Christmas with family. Understandably, Christmas was almost a week ago now, but is it ever to late to celebrate with family? We won't be doing the midnight mass and opening one present or all of them before bed, Christmas Eve night. We won't be stealthily sneaking around the house early Christmas morn to see what gifts we were bestowed. Simple. Family. Love.

The one tradition that my son wants to do while we visit my parents, Costco. Yes, Costco. A few years back in November, my mom and son ran around Costco snagging samples and having a good time while I clothes shopped at a nearby store. My son treasures that experience. The one thing he asked for this year, another trip to Costco.

There is nothing like tradition. No matter how small, or trivial it may seem. It's always memorable and important.

No comments: