Monday, December 29, 2008

Directional Love

I'm finding more and more these days that I seem to be more in tune with my emotions. It seems like at every turn, I find myself loving something new or different. Maybe I've always been that way and I just wasn't in touch with my inner self. Like my new found love of dogs, babies, prescription drive thru's...

I am now officially in love with my GPS. I bought the 750 Garmin as my early Christmas gift to myself. Since I stayed pretty local for most of December, I didn't bother to use it, at all. I did use it when my son and I went to see the Grand Rapids Griffin Hockey game, our Christmas present from my brother and his family. Front row tickets to boot! Other than that, haven't really had the need to use it.

I found myself quite confused in the dark en route from a date's house. He had given me directions, four times due to the extreme water blocking roadways to his house. I managed to get to his house without any difficulty, but had to drive across a neighbor's side lot to avoid the lake otherwise known as his driveway. When leaving, I had my blue post-it trying to follow the directions backwards. I wish I could say I was successful. I wasn't.

I found my tires skidding all over the roadways, apparently black ice since they didn't look bad. Then I thought (first mistake - I thought) I went the right way, and not really sure, I continued, with a car on my tail down a hill and found myself seriously in a large pond in the middle of the street! I wish I could say I have some large monster truck that can drive through water with ease, but well my neon just isn't. Fortunately for me, it was dark and my instincts said to keep going, which I did make it through the abyss without too much damage other than the reoccurring screeching of the now wet fan belt! Completely lost and in towns I had barely passed through and completely unable to pronounce, I pulled over and hooked up my GPS. I silently hoped that I would be averted from any further water driving.

The GPS navigated me home! Amazing. I seriously could have spent hours trying to figure out where I was. I even trusted the GPS to go left when I would have swore I should have gone right. But knowing that I'm completely directionally incompetent, I am learning to trust. Trust in the small things in life that will get me where I need to go, and maybe even on time!

No comments: