Monday, March 29, 2010

Wow...what matters?

I finally made my way to bed sometime before 2a.m. this morning. I think I may have fallen asleep, or was right at the brink of sleep when I was startled awake by screaming. Screaming coming from outside.

Screaming a deathly screaming screech. The sound of a small child or someone in extreme anguish. The screaming didn't subside. I stumbled out of bed. Maneuvered poorly around in the dark. Grabbed my glasses, thought of grabbing a phone to call 911, but didn't. Ran into the hallway door en route to the front door. The screaming continued.

I opened the front door. I scanned the street. I didn't say anyone. I listened. I heard IT.

A CAT. A DAMN CAT - LIKELY IN HEAT.

The thought crossed my mind of strangling the cat. The thought that at this very moment - I'm SO NOT a pet lover. I went back to bed. The screaming continued. I covered my head under the comforter. The screaming continued.

I thought about writing a post titled "8 Minutes & the Pussy" and how to put a humorous spin on it. 8 Minutes was the amount of time I spent in an upright tanner getting burned before my upcoming trip. And the cat that prevented me from sleeping for another several hours.

But all of it really doesn't seem to matter...now.

I called my son's dad to discuss practice tonight and spring break since he hadn't responded to my email from last week. In his "man of few words" I learned that he may need me to get my son as soon as possible when I return from my vacation. Why?

What it boils down to, my son's father has cancer. He will require surgery and a week in the hospital. He divulged no chemo or radiation necessary. He detected it because of a problem and has been working on scheduling and such for the past few months. T is his only "loose end" but the date of surgery isn't definite.

Just puts things into perspective. While I'm not privy to much information, I do know that is my son's father. I wish him well. Regardless of everything, I have never wished him ill will. And to those that believe in karma, even that gives me no solace. I really do wish him the best, not only for him, for his family, for his other child, but for our son. Our Son.

1 comment:

Bossy Betty said...

Sorry to hear about your son's father. I hope for the best for him.