Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

I hadn't really decided what I wanted to do to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, if I wanted to celebrate at all. While I definitely have Irish roots, I've never been a big fan of Irish food - especially corned beef and cabbage. The smell of cooked cabbage is completely repulsive to me, to the point that I want to hurl!

Initially, due to my schedule, I had made plans to go out with someone I've periodically been spending time with, whom I actually may even like. Like in the sense, that for the first time in a long time, I even initiated a kiss (Caught me more than off guard too!). But between our schedules with our children and work and, and, and...it's just been difficult to really make the time to date without it becoming a part-time job. So I've decided, again, to just not worry about it and erased the penciled in plans of tonight and tomorrow from the books.

Considering St. Patty's Day is the need to drink green beer as well as eat other foods that would be deemed non-consumable or dyed to be festive, I debated whether or not to bar hop. Lots of options, for sure. Wasn't really up for a late night out with more than the norm of intoxicants out celebrating, but hadn't decided, that is until 11p.m., last night.

I found myself in a rather peculiar predicament, certainly not one that I couldn't get myself out of, but the kind where you ask about something and it gets passed on and then...

Long story short, I will be attending an Irish Dinner this evening. I had initially declined of course if the menu was going to include corned beef and cabbage. I love the idea of meeting new people, new experiences and new food, but figured an Irish meal wasn't my first choice. However, I was interested in meeting the host of the dinner to see about having a cooking class in her home, one I purchased for 12 - back during the last auction. I just wasn't ready to inquire of her, yet. She contacted me to see if I wanted to attend the dinner, since she heard I inquired (I inquired about HER not the dinner!). And well, WHY NOT?

Here is the menu for tonight's dinner that we are going to make. I surely wonder if we will be able to cook it all before midnight, let alone next week!:

Corned beef with a stone ground mustard crust & cabbage, served with three fabulous sauces
Orange marmalade glazed carrots
Atlantic Cod with a cheese scone topping
Mashed potatoes with butter and scallions (champ)
Shepherd's pie with lamb
Irish soda bread
Irish cheeses served on apple slices
Guinness fondue
Irish bread pudding with a Caramel Whiskey Sauce
Irish Cream cheesecake
Irish coffee, Guinness and soft drinks
Looking forward to a night of new adventures - maybe now that I'm older, I might even like something on the menu beyond the apples!
Have a great day and be safe in whatever you choose to do on this St. Patty's Day!

No comments: