Friday, March 12, 2010

Walking and Talking

Things have been crazy busy as of late. I've been working hard and playing hard and enjoying March and new beginnings with a vengeance. Of course in doing so, I've managed to continue my streak of not working out and ultimately gaining weight. Not a good combo considering my upcoming vacation and cruise, but I still have a few weeks to make some changes!

Tonight after working late and running errands, I grabbed Chinese takeout en route to the house. T and I ate dinner and I asked if he wanted to go for a walk. T's been rather strange lately, from wanting nothing to do with mom in public to wanting nothing but attention in private. With less than two weeks left until the official teenage years, I'm embracing it all and taking what I can get! He was more than eager and willing to go for a walk and brought his basketball along to bounce while we walked and talked.

Back when I was training for the Breast Cancer 3 Day, T would walk about 3-4 miles with me, that was 2007 when he was more malleable! We enjoyed the pleasant evening and talked about school and his upcoming birthday. We talked about friends and tales and woes. We meandered up and down sidewalks, over cracks and across streets. He bounced his ball and we talked and talked and talked. I figured after about 30 minutes, he would be done. He wanted to continue. Even so much as to say that we need to walk more often, "like every day Mom!"

Of course I'm all for the exercise. Besides, it seems like with the winter and our personal laptops since the late fall, we've done less and less together. Of course things will get busy with baseball season but for now, I'll embrace every opportunity that I have to engage with my son!

3 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

Oh, aren't those walks the best? I loved walking with my boys when they were younger. Now that they are older I actually ask for a walk as a birthday present.

Your post was lovely!

Ms. Independent said...

Yes, the walk was the best! It just seems like in all the craziness of life, we lose track of time and the small things we take for granted. The moments shared talking, laughing, remembering...there will never be enough! Live, love and laugh for today!

Anonymous said...

I take those times "whenever" possible. Doing the dishes, and setting the table... They go by fast.... with the cellphones these days, it is a blur!!! We actually spend more time talking via the istant message than, just talking...

Take while you can!!

xoxox

LL