Friday, March 12, 2010

T's Birthday

T will be turning 13 in mid-March. THIRTEEN! A TEENAGER.

Sometimes it's hard to fathom. It still amazes me when I meet new people and the conversation of kids come up and how shocked people are that I not only have a child, but a child who will be 13. I'm not sure if that means that I present as too immature or too young to have a child of his age. I think more often than not, it is because the people I keep meeting and hanging out with, don't have children and have never been married.

T and I couldn't remember what his birthday present was when he turned 12. Completely forgettable. When he turned 11 we went to the Piston's game. He suggested I call Grandma because "she would know!" He said, "She can't remember her passwords but she can remember what we did!"

I offered to take him to see Uncle Kraker. What better than a concert to the first group CD T ever received (at 5, 'cause I'm a good mom!)? So while there really was memories attached to the offer, I really personally wanted to see them. Unfortunately T has decided, "I don't really like concerts." Sigh...

He expressed that other than a Michigan (U of M) game, he has been to every event possible with me.

I offered a weekend in Chicago. To tour the museums and aquarium. He wasn't interested.

All he could come up with for gifts were head phones, a printer and a Wii game. Now how exciting is that for a 13th birthday? He wanted to have an all-nighter and I told him sure, because afterall he's with his dad on his birthday! The reality though, I would allow it, but T can't muster to stay awake much past 10:30p.m. let alone midnight or the next day!

I offered a party. I offered an outing. I offered events. He decided he wanted a sleepover, at his dad's because really the only time to celebrate, is on that day! Where that comes from, I have no idea since we rarely if ever celebrate any day on that day! I'm not one for that, it's about the event or the purpose than the actual day of celebration.

So tonight on our walk, we discussed his birthday again. He thinks he wants a sleepover party. He wants to invite five 7th graders. Because my car only seats four others, I can't transport them anywhere, which is actually fine with me! I talked about pizza and movies and games - Wii, X-box, board, etc. It would be relatively affordable with just getting pizza, snacks, cake and ice cream.

Cake he says? "Can't I have birthday pie? Like birthday pumpkin pie with thirteen candles?"

Seriously? Who wants pumpkin pie for their birthday? My son. He decided that my carrot cake would be fabulous! Even though it is, I would definitely have other options, you know, for the normal kids!

Then, I came up with a good idea. Mainly because I have been thinking about it for a while. I told T I would give him $130 for his birthday, $10 for every year and he could buy a television with it. We could shop and he could pick it out. Of course I realize that I would have to pay for the cable and likely the stand in addition to his birthday money. Then he would have to pay the difference from his bank, which he recalled having several hundred dollars in it - because he did make at least three $100 deposits over the years.

And so there I have it. For his thirteenth birthday he will be contributing to buying a big screen television for the basement. In doing so, he can then use the basement for all of his gaming consoles since it's actually more roomy than the living room. A dungeon hangout for him and his friends! Since he will be spending his money on a great majority of it, he will be more careful and appreciative of his t.v. Then, I won't feel so bad for tapping into his money rather than my own (afterall, I really am going to buy a grill this year - hopefully very soon!). He'll also have a birthday party/overnighter with his friends (assuming they can come!) to officially welcome him as a TEENAGER.

Sigh. I'm so glad that's been decided. I'm tired of all the grey hairs trying to make his birthday a memorable one! Here's hoping it is!

No comments: