Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Communication

For the first time in almost a decade, I'm in a dating relationship that doesn't seem to be evolving through internet communication. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Regardless of how I've met the person that I date, we have always communicated throughout the day by email. I suppose it's exacerbated by the fact that I sit in front of a computer all day long as do most of those that I have dated.

I've also learned that more than anything (ok, maybe not ANYTHING) I can't stand email communication. It's great for a quick thought or message or to get something, nothing beats the timeliness of an internet email message, but thought and feelings can't be deciphered through the receiving and reading of an email. With every failed relationship, I vow to not use emailing as a means of communicating in dating, and yet I do, time and time again.

It's easy. It's quick. It's accessible. It's misconstrued. It's misunderstood. It's headache and heartache. Or maybe that's just a relationship as it evolves through the stages. Maybe not.

Now I find myself dating someone that doesn't have a desk job. He doesn't have a computer readily available at a moment's notice. He doesn't text me or instant message me on a regular basis. He isn't computer savvy, and while I am, I would prefer to not date via computer technology or any other gidget or gadget that may be out there.

We are getting to know each other - get this - in person. We also spend a lot of time on the phone when in person just isn't realistic.

Bring me back to the stone age of communication and dating. I welcome it with arms wide open!

No comments: