Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gift Giving

Friday night the bf invited me to join in his son and dad's birthday dinner celebration.  Having only met his dad on two brief occasions, I really don't feel comfortable giving him a gift.  Initially the thought was dinner would be at his parents house, which changed overnight and will now be at a local restaurant, to be determined.  So the thought of bringing a dish, dessert or something else is no longer appropriate.  I'm not even sure that I feel comfortable giving him a card or a bottle of wine.  His mom told the bf for him to buy him an orchid.  Now that would have been an OK gift for me to give.  What to do?

As for the bf's son, I have met him on numerous occasions.  While he is a month older than my son T, he and T have almost nothing in common.  T is very involved in sports and academics.  Bf's son likes video games and as of last fall, skateboarding.

So I decided that I would make him a skateboarding tie blanket.  All I had to do was find some skateboarding fleece.  Fortunately, Fields Fabrics has a camouflage skateboard fleece and after calling four stores, I found one that had it in stock! So I weathered the aftermath of Blizzard 2011 to purchase the fleece.  Even more awesome is that his bedding is camouflage too!


While the blanket is not the most photogenic, the solid color is actually a hunter green.  I actually think it turned out really good, even if he has absolutely no reaction!  But figured labor, personable and skateboard related was a much better gift option than a gift card!

No comments: