Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blizzard 2011

By mid-January in West Michigan our accumulations of snow were less than 25".  We have yet to go skiing or sledding.  I have been out once to snow shoe.  Wind chill and weather temperatures have been chilly to take advantage of the snow and I have been having issues mustering up the desire to be outside.

Late Tuesday night into Wednesday morning we had the Blizzard of 2011.  Forecasts included upwards to 24" in a twelve hour period.  People were bracing for entire towns to be shut-down.  Schools announced closings for the evening and following day before any snow began to fall. 

The snow did fall, upwards to 12".  I was able to use one of my snow blowers and cleared the driveway of about 4" the night of before snow really came down.  For the first time EVER, my office closed on Wednesday.  People hibernated and allowed plows to do their jobs on Wednesday.  1.5 hours with my snow blower and son's help, we cleared out the driveway. 

Surprisingly, school was closed today due to "walker safety" as many of the sidewalks have yet to be cleared. 

Good thing that Phil forecasts Spring soon for Ground Hog Day.  While I don't believe that we have snow storms like when I was a kid, I'm OK with getting small amounts at a time rather than Snowmageddon.

No comments: