Wednesday, February 9, 2011

FaSt & Fitness

Last week I had to fast for my cholesterol test.  Interestingly enough, when I went back to the lab to have my blood drawn I was a little shocked when the lab tech inquired, "To verify you are here for a cholesterol screen and a pregnancy test?"

Ummm...NO. NO. NO. I am NOT pregnant.  Then, I realized her confusion and attempts to clarify, see I have two orders for blood work and completely not comprehensible to me, I can't have the tests done together.  The pregnancy test is to verify that I am not pregnant before I proceed with my tubal ligation in the near future.  That blood to be drawn at a later date.

The results of the cholesterol test: BAD.

For those of you that are unaware, I have the bad gene lottery ticket.  My results are significantly worse than two years ago.  Granted two years ago was shortly after completing almost 7 months of training for the 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk too. 

But I will not deny that exercise and I have gone through irreconcilable differences over the past year.  I attempted mediation.  I attempted counseling.  To no avail.  So I did the next best thing...I walked away (of course not far and not fast - afterall that would have been exercise!)

Now with a lot under the rug and extra weight holding the rug down, time is not on my side.  The daily vitamins are impacting nothing. 

My triglyceride level: 287

The "phone nurse" recommended that I discontinue all "processed, fatty, sugary, fast foods and alcohol."  While I could eat better, I don't eat the previous significantly enough to warrant an immediate change of the triglyceride level if I cold turkey.

Fortunately for me, I reacquainted myself (and introduced MS) to Jillian Michaels over the weekend.  I'm serious about getting back into shape and the cholesterol results Monday morning only kicked me in the ass a little bit harder!

I have visited with Jillian now four days in a row and NO, that doesn't include watching the Biggest Loser tonight either!  I completed Day 3 of the 30 Day Shred, although I much prefer my favorite Kick Boxing video instead.  I am bound and determined to complete the 30 Day Shred, get motivated and lose 10 pounds by Spring Break. 

I was advised to take Fish Oil to reduce the triglycerides and I haven't purchased them yet.  I just can't bring myself to embrace that...yet.

No comments: