Thursday, October 21, 2010

Tenth Anniversary That Isn't...

Today would have been my ten year anniversary.  TEN. YEARS.  I thought today about all of the things that I wanted to say in my blog.  How ten years ago, on Sweetest Day, I was married.  I have now been divorced for almost 6.5 years. 

I logged into my blog and searched to see if I had blogged about my anniversary before.  I thought that I had, but I couldn't recall the details.  I had, two years ago, near my eighth anniversary, I blogged this.  I was brought somewhere, years ago, somewhere that I hardly recognize when I read it.  Somewhere I am completely not today. 

I celebrated Sweetest Day weekend this year with a very sweet man.  Someone that I adore his affection, intelligence and company.  Someone that I had no idea that going into the weekend would be anything even remotely affectionate or romantic, but a weekend spent forgetting about Sweetest Day and having fun with someone that also wanted to have fun!  I have no animosity toward the Hallmark holiday.  It hasn't been forever plagued and haunted for me.

This morning I left for work on time as we had "the big dogs" in the office and were requested to be punctual.  I had 7 minutes to travel the three miles.  SEVEN. MINUTES.

A mile from home, I turned and headed on a two lane, one-way street westbound.  I was in the left lane when a van in the right lane proceeded to turn...LEFT.  Turned RIGHT. INTO. ME.  I did my best to slam on the brakes and turn to the left - but a curb and the side of her Freestar prevented me from avoiding the accident.  Surprisingly, I was in good spirits.  I found it comical.  I called 911.  I left a message for my boss that I wasn't going to be in on time and then I called my insurance. 

Life happens. 

My car is still driveable.  I had to laugh at the woman, the other driver that thought that we were on a two-way street.  When I was almost free to go, I wished her a better day.  She said, "Thanks.  So I was just realizing, I was at fault, wasn't I?"

I went to get an estimate on the repairs of my car.  $1670.  I was thankful that I didn't try to save a few dollars when I considered increasing my deductibles and getting rid of rental car coverage.  The accident wasn't my fault so the deductible is waived and a rental car replacement will save me up to $600.  Worth the few dollars in the insurance premiums!  My hood is rusting so I asked how much it would cost to replace, since there was no hood damage.  So for less than $400, I will have practically a new front car!  The car will go in the shop on Monday and will take four days.  Unfortunately, after my son got in the car today, he couldn't open the door to get out!  He'll just have to sit in the backseat through the weekend (another ghettoesque moment).

I would say today was a great day!  I have made the best of an accident and am looking forward to my car looking pretty and new for a GREAT DEAL. 

Some would argue that ten years ago I made a mistake of getting married.  Some would also argue that today, I made the mistake of leaving on time for work and getting hit. 

Today, my accident will cause me far less grief, agony, heartache and money than my marriage and subsequent divorce. Surprisingly, I don't regret ever getting married.  Everything happens for a reason.  Today was another reminder of my anniversary.  I have survived both and I am a better person!

I just researched the gift that is considered for a Ten Year Anniversary:  Tin or Aluminum. 

Ironic?  How is it that on my would-be 10th wedding anniversary my gift to myself, with the assistance of someone out of my control, results in metal car replacement? 

Who says you can't still reap the rewards and gifts of marriage without being married?

No comments: